NAWDEX/W2W Workshop (Apr. 2016)
The joint NAWDEX/W2W workshop took place at DLR in Oberpfaffenhofen from April 4th-6th 2016. This was the first cross-cutting activity "Campaign Data" workshop.
The NAWDEX campaign (more information here and there) will take place from September 19th to October 16th, 2016. The HALO and the DLR Falcon research aircrafts, as well as a French Falcon, will be deployed in Iceland.
In order to prepare this measurement campaign, about 50 researchers from Germany (DLR, LMU, KIT, JGU, University of Köln, University of Hamburg, University of Leipzig), Switzerland (ETH), the USA (NRL Monterey), France (LMD and Meteo France), the UK (University of Reading) and Romania took part in the workshop. Most of the participants are key international NAWDEX PIs, aircraft instrument scientists and W2W researchers who will all actively take part in the NAWDEX campaign or use the data for their research.
The following items have been discussed during the workshop:
- presentation of science questions and discussion of case studies
- refining flight strategies based on the preparatory case studies
- discussion about the NAWDEX procedures, the work plan and the interface between the different groups (instruments, flight facility, flight planning)
- presenting the local infrastructure in Iceland
- presenting forecasting and flight planning tools that will be useful during the campaign
- discussion about a common visualization domain and a common projection
The many lively discussions between theoretical meteorologists, instrument scientists, pilots and students taking part in the campaign made this workshop a successful meeting.